Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Wind Needs to Fullstop

Autumn has started to arrive to the Falklands. Just as when you think robins are the first sign of spring in Michigan, cattle egrets that have been blown off course during migration are the first sign of changing seasons here in the Falklands. (Biologist note: Did you know that some robins actually stay all winter in Michigan?)  The first cattle egret arrived to the settlement yesterday evening and today I was able to get some decent photos of it.
My first cattle egret south of the equator.
Another sign of it becoming colder (besides the gale force winds that we have been experiencing as of late) is that the Rooks have started to make their way to the settlement and we see them at the pigpen. Granted, the majority are still at the Neck, which is why we are going back there to stay another night tomorrow. Hoping for better weather than what we experienced on our last trip.

When we get back on Saturday, we will have the day to pack and then off to Carcass on Sunday to take the much-anticipated boat ride to Steeple Jason. I’m praying, hoping, and wishing for calm waters! I cannot wait to see the world’s largest Black-browed albatross colony!
The Condor aka the faithful ship to take us on the 5-hour tour.  
After that trip it is back to Saunders for me for a few days, then to Stanley, and then to start my journey home.

I want to thank all of the 5th grade students from Sturgis Elementary who left me comments and questions last week. Below you will find the question and my response in italics. I really enjoyed reading them all. Thank you!

From: aholtz93
Hello, I am Andrea from Mr. Wolbert's class. Where are the Falkland Islands located? The Johnny Rooks are very interesting, before now I hadn't even heard of them. When you were younger did you always want to be a biologist? Post more soon!
Hi Andrea!
The Falkland Islands are a territory of Great Britain and are located about 3000 miles north of Antarctica and 500 miles off the southern coast of Argentina. It takes 6 planes and 4 days for me to get to the islands! Truth be told, before I was offered this project I had never heard of them either! I guess I should have paid more attention in my geography and social studies classes.

When I was younger I actually wanted to become a veterinarian. However while attending Grand Valley State University, I worked at an animal emergency hospital and realized becoming a vet just wasn’t for me. I had also helped a couple professors collect data for different projects and learned that I enjoyed doing that a lot more. I have always loved being in nature and studying animals, so I decided that combining both of these things would be the best for me. My best advice to anyone is to try to work at your dream job before or while going to college. It is better to find out earlier if you will actually like doing it.
Thanks for your questions!

From: mpieronski10
I love to learn about the johnny rooks, I think they are very interesting birds. I can't wait till you post more about them. What made you want research the johnny rooks?
Sincerely,
Mckenzie

And From: rmiller03
It is really fun learning about the Johnny Rooks I have never even heard of them until now. I cant wait until your next post. What inspired you to start researching the Johnny Rooks?
-Rylie from Mr. Wolbert's class

And From: ktrejo37
Hello, my name is Kayla from Mr. Wolbert's class. I think that learning about the Johnny Rooks is astonishing and very interesting. What inspired you to research these fascinating animals?
Hi Mckenzie, Rylie, and Kayla!
I am glad you all like learning about the Johnny Rooks, I do too! ;-) I have always loved biology and nature. While attending Grand Valley I helped a professor collect data on Tree Swallows (a type of songbird you probably could find in your backyard) and realized that I really enjoyed researching birds. However, I have always been the person to go against what everyone else normally does and realized that researching birds of prey (hawks, falcons, owls, etc.) seemed much more interesting than songbirds. After I graduated from Grand Valley I found a project researching Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels (birds you can find near where you live) for my Masters in Arkansas. After two years there, I graduated with my Masters degree and then this project was offered to me while I was presenting my research at a conference in Idaho. I couldn’t pass it up and now, after meeting these birds, I definitely don’t want to. I hope to continue to study the Johnny Rooks and other types of birds of prey for many years to come! Thank you for your questions!

From: aknight55
I would love to help you out and buy stuff for you. How awesome is it to have your job?
Sincerely: Angie
Hi Angie,
Thank you so much for your generous offer. That is very sweet of you. I must admit I do love having my job. Being a biologist has allowed me to travel to some pretty neat places (and hopefully more in the future), see some spectacular wildlife, and meet a lot of different people. As I am sure with every type of career choice there are some spectacular perks that come with the job. Unfortunately, there are also always some drawbacks, but those just make you appreciate the good parts of the job even more!

From: bwebb62
Hi i'm bradyn from mr.wolberts class,it is very fascinating learning about johnny rooks. They are very interesting birds.Before I read your blog I had no clue what a johnny rook was!
Have you got to interact with any other animals on your trip?
Hi Bradyn!
I have indeed! The Falkland Islands offer so many animals to see, but I think the most popular are the penguins! There are 5 different species amongst the islands, which are: 1. Kings; 2. Magellanics; 3. Gentoos (Saunders Island has over 10000!); 4. Rockhoppers; and 5. Macaronis (but I have yet to find them). There are also Black-browed Albatross, which is a bird that has a 9 foot wingspan! When it comes to mammals, there are huge elephant seals and sea lions. There are also two species of dolphins (Commerson’s and Peale’s) and whales that you can spot when they come to the surface to breathe. Here is a link to more of the animals you can find in the Falklands: http://www.falklandsconservation.com/wildlife/wildlife-in-the-falklands

From: alandess97
Hi I am Ally I want to know why you picked the johnny rooks. Have you done any other researches on other birds mammals or any other. was it really cold? Do you get to help animals if there hurt? Please a reply. Do you have any living animals at your home? was it amazing being able to be on TV. Mr. Wolbert said we might be able to see the episode, Do you ever get a little nervous when you hold the johnny rooks?
sincerely
Ally
Hi Ally!
Thanks for all of the questions. I honestly didn’t pick to study the Johnny Rooks. The project idea was offered to me last January and it was too good to pass up on. I hope I get to study these birds for many years to come!

Most of my proper research has focused on birds. It started with a project on the nest-sites of Tree Swallows (songbirds) on Grand Valley State University’s campus. More recently, my research has focused on birds of prey, which I hope to keep it that way. My master’s thesis focused on the foraging habits of Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels. However, I have also helped on a research project for an orphan eye disease called Choroideremia (orphan meaning not a lot of people have this disease).

It does get cold here during their winter and sometimes even during their summer. Since I am below the equator, their seasons are switched. Even though it is winter in Michigan, it is considered summer here in the Falklands. However, it never gets as warm as Michigan summers; more like Michigan spring-temps on a good day.

We try not to intervene with nature too much while we are here. We have helped birds in the past by cleaning a wound or patching up some missing feathers. However, to help any animal special permits and training are usually required. In Michigan, I used to help a raptor rehabilitator at Braveheart Raptor Rehabilitation Center in Twin Lake (they have open houses come spring-time, I would highly suggest taking a trip out there to see them and their birds).

I have several animals at home. Brandy III is my family’s 8-year-old Hungarian Vizsla who still acts like a puppy. I have “Frog” who is a White’s Dumpy tree frog and is at least 6 years old. “Petie” is a painted turtle that is at least 12 years old. And finally, “Ollie” is a crested Gecko who is less than 1-year-old. Luckily, when I am gone my parents watch over them all for me.

It was a lot of fun to have the BBC film crew here filming the Johnny Rooks. I think the episode with them won’t be edited and out for viewing until the summer though. Keep your eye out for it though! It is called, “Deadly: Pole to Pole”. The first time I held one of the Johnny Rooks I was a little nervous. Every species of raptor seems to act a little different from one another when you hold them. Once I was used to how the Johnny Rooks act though I was able to relax more, which in turn helps the bird relax more too.

Thanks again for all of your questions Ally!

From: jluna22
HI my name is Javier from Mr. Wolberts class I really like the Johnny Rooks. Plus I have an idea for the Johnny Rooks you can probably make them race around a track to find food.

And From: bhect00
Greetings, My name is Brady from Mr.Wolberts class and I would like you to test the theory of the johnny rooks going threw a maze and trying to find a delight. Also I actually would like to become of what you are doing sounds so awe-inspiring.
Hi Javier and Brady!
I am happy to hear you like the Johnny Rooks and have been thinking about ideas for them. Those are excellent ideas. Unfortunately, I don’t know how well they would do with racing or a maze. They tend to get distracted fairly easy, especially when other birds are around. I will try to think more about your idea though and see if I could figure out a way to make them work with the Rooks! Thanks again!

From: llunaalvarez90
hi i am Lennin from Mr.Wolberts class when you were younger did you want to study raptors and want to be a biologist too. when i grow up i would like to be like you so intelligent and very good at your job and showing children all you do.
Hi Lennin,
Thank you for such a kind compliment! I am sure you already are pretty intelligent and will be able to become whatever you desire to be! I am glad you enjoy learning about my research too. When I was younger I actually wanted to become a veterinarian. After working at one though when I was in college, I realized it just wasn’t for me. I highly suggest for everyone to try out what they want to be before going to school for it. This way, you know what you would be getting yourself into before spending a lot of money on an education to get a career that might not make you happy. I hope you do become a biologist because we need more, especially young scientists like you! It is never too early to start!

From: daledreamer
Were you ever into blogger when you were little? If you were, what age would you say? I NEVER!! heard of the Falkland Island but i will be craving to.
Hi! I was never into writing online blogs when I was younger. I did occasionally write in a journal, but most of my memories took the form of photographs. That is one of my hobbies. Thanks for the question, I hope you will get to visit the Falklands one day!

From: bellingson01
Greetings. How is banding going? I wish I could go down to the islands with you as a intern. Even though I'm only 11.Going to the island would be very entertaining. How enjoyable are the johnny rooks?The next time you come bake to MI could you come to are classroom, and talk about the johnny rooks?
Sincerely, Brock
Hi Brock!
Banding is starting to slow down because most of the birds we see on a daily basis already have a band. To date, we have 659 birds banded! However, now we have more time to test the birds with different puzzles and watch their behaviors more! The Johnny Rooks are extremely entertaining! You can tell that some have very distinct personalities too. For example, we can notice that H2 White or U7 Yellow are around just based on their call (which is more like a scream) before even seeing them! However, the screaming call gets old really fast. Another funny thing we have noticed with the Rooks is their love for bubbles! There is a pipe that leads out from the kitchen sink from our field station at the Neck on Saunders Island. Whenever we do dishes or wash our hands there will usually be at least one Rook waiting for the bubbles to form in the puddle below. I wish you could come to the islands with me and be my intern too! I hope that one day you will get to visit this magical place. I will have to talk to Mr. Wolbert about coming out to your class, but if he doesn't mind, I am sure we could make it happen! Thanks for your questions!

From: dmeyers74
Hello my is name Dara i am from Mr.Wolbert's 5th grade class , and i was wondering how long it took you to fly to the falklands ? i didn't know that the johnny rooks excited i think there very interesting and odd at the same time. When i am older i want to fly out there and see them in person.
Hi Dara!
It took me 4 days and 6 planes to get to where I am currently! It is the worst part of the trip, but once you get here you know it was all worth it. I hope you get to come out here and see them in person too! Seeing them in person is the best way to understand these birds, I think. Thanks for your question!

From: kpack89
Your life is so fascinating! I love the johnny rooks. I always had a thing for the birds of prey. The johnny rooks are one of my favorite raptor birds, after the barn owl. This has been a great experience for me.I am learning so much from your blog. Do you get sad when you set the birds free? –Kasey
Hi Kasey!
I am so glad to hear that you like birds of prey! I must say the Barn Owl is my favorite out of the owls. You can find Barn Owls in the Falklands too, but I have yet to see one. Hopefully before I leave I will!

I do not get sad when I let the birds free after banding because I know being wild is how they will be most happy. Also, some of the birds like to make this really loud scream-like call during the entire harmless banding process. Those birds, I do not miss when we let them go, neither do my ears. I do get sad and begin to worry though if I don’t see one of my favorites for a while.

Thanks for your question! I hope you learn more from my research!

From: lsmith83
Hi my name is Ladell from Mr Wolberts class. I really luxuriate the johnny rooks and what you say. I think falcons they are really intimidating. I have a lot of members that would like to be just like you
Hi Ladell,
Thank you for the nice comment. Falcons can be intimidating, but know that none are out to hurt you. Some people are afraid of the Johnny Rooks because of how they will come up to you or hover above you. This is just them being curious though and wanting to know if you have anything they can take and play with.

From: agarcalmunoz42
Hi I am Alondra from Mr.Wolbert's class
I think that working with the Caracara in Easter Island was a great idea, because while I was reading your blog you actually add a lot of interesting facts.
Hi Alondra,
Thank you for such a nice comment. I am actually in the Falkland Islands which are a little farther southeast than Easter Island. However, I really hope to visit Easter Island one day!

From: cguitierrez79
Hi my name is Cynthia I am from Mr. Wolbert, its really fun and interesting at the same time how you talk about the johonny rook bird when i grow up i want to learn about the birds. What does the average Biologist earn in a year? Is that more or less than other scientific jobs?
Hi Cynthia,
I am glad you are enjoying my blog. Just so you know, you don’t have to wait until you grow up to learn about birds. Birding is either the first or second hobby to have in the US! Unfortunately, your question is very hard to answer because the average salary of a biologist varies greatly. It depends on what type of biologist you are and what type of degree, or degrees, you have. I think it would be pretty competitive with other scientific jobs. Sorry I couldn’t be more specific with my answer.

From: jheavincoup75
I believe it is very provocative learning about the Striated Caracara and I believe that you should test if the Johnny Rooks can be effected by the Darwinian Theory of Evolution.
from jacob mr. wolberts class
Hi Jacob,
I am glad you enjoy learning about the Striated Caracaras. In what aspect would you suggest I test the Johnny Rooks with Darwin’s theory of evolution? Keep in mind, evolution is gradual change over time… lots and lots of time.

From: csanford47
Hello my name is Carli. I am form Mr. Wolbert's class he told us all about you. Did you always want to be a Biologist? I love learning about the Johnny rooks it is a fun thing to learn about. I love the birds that u are studying. About how close can you get to one of the birds? Hope you have fun just like you are now. I think these birds would be cool to see them up close but I am not up there with you. I think you are really good at your job. I think you chose a great job keep up the good work. Those birds are very smart they can do amazing things like flip over a cup and find the food. But if they already find the food then they don't flip over the other cup or cups. They are also very sneaky when they try to catch little babies. you inspired me with your capability of being a biologist and teaching the birds. What other kinds of animals do you teach and do cool stuff with? How do you get so close to one of those animals? I could never do that you are talented. I would be to scared to even hold on to one. But setting traps would be pretty cool too.
Sincerely,
Carli S.
Hi Carli,
Thanks for you comment. I am glad you enjoy learning about the Johnny Rooks. To answer your questions… I have always loved science and nature but I originally wanted to become a veterinary when I was little. However, after working at an animal emergency hospital I realized it wasn’t for me (I highly suggest everyone to try out what they think their dream job is before committing to it). You can get pretty close to these birds; or rather they will get pretty close to you, especially the juveniles. Sometimes I am just a foot away from one of them. I have not trained or tested puzzles on any other type of animal (that’s if I don’t count my dog, of course). They aren’t that scary to hold. Getting them out of the bag that we put them in after catching them is the scariest part (you basically do it blind). Some birds are really calm when you hold them and others just go into a defensive mode (can’t blame them though, I would too if I were them). I hope you get to experience something like this at some point in your life! Thanks again for your comment, Carli!

From: jmedinaalvarez02
Hello, I am from Mr.Wolbert's class where are the Falkland Island.It is absolutely fun to research the Johnny Rooks I had never heard of the Johnny Rooks since you were little did you want to study biologist.I can't wait until your other post.
- Alex M from Mr.Wolbert's class
Hi Alex,
Thanks for you comment. I have always loved science and nature but I originally wanted to become a veterinary when I was little. However, after working at an animal emergency hospital I realized it wasn’t for me (I highly suggest everyone to try out what they think their dream job is before committing to it). I am pretty happy with my decision to become a biologist. Thanks again for your comment and question.

From: ablasbarrios63
Greetings, My name is Aileen and I'm from Mr. Wolberts class. the study of the Johnny Rooks and other bird's are very interesting and its a delight that you adore all kinds of birds, and its an honor to read your stories of fascinating raptors.
Hi Aileen,
Thanks for your kind comment, I am glad you enjoy learning about my Johnny Rooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment