Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Greetings from Saunders Island!

*Composed on 2 August 2014*

We all arrived safe and sound to Mount Pleasant airport on 26 July. It did seem dodgy for a little bit in Punta Arenas, Chile due to weather. It added yet another 1.5 hours to our already 4 days of traveling. Needless to say, we were very happy to see Micky waiting (an extra 2 hours because he didn't get my Facebook message before he left) to drive us to Stanley. After getting situated at the Lafone House we went and ate at the Malvina House, as we always do. I was famished and even Micky said he had never seen me eat so much. I couldn't help that the $4.39 bag of chips (“crisps”) that I bought in Chile were not completely satisfying. The fish and proper chips were delicious! I also made sure to get my last helping of lettuce and broccoli (I remember a time when I did not prefer veggies, what was I ever thinking?). Sunday morning we woke up to mostly clear skies, but still quite a chill in the air and snow still on the ground. The sunrise was beautiful though!

Anna had her first proper English breakfast and we went to FIGAS to catch the first flight to Saunders Island. For the first time ever, there was a chance to sit up front with the pilot! Luckily, Anna didn’t put up a fight (thank you Anna!).  

Late that morning, we smoothly touched down on the snow-covered airstrip at Saunders Island. Suzan and David were there to greet us, and so were about 12 Johnny Rooks. I have realized that at the end of this trip, I will have spent 1/3 of the past year in the Falkland Islands. Actually, my “anniversary” of first arriving to the Falklands is on 7 August. I cannot believe this is already my third trip (that means I have taken at least 30 planes!). I am beyond fortunate and thankful to be given this opportunity. I am often asked if I get nervous about traveling so far, and to be honest, my biggest worry is how my neck will fair with all the traveling. I blame my travel bug on going away to Grand Valley for my BS degree. Ever since then it seems as though I have been on the move. After that degree, I moved to Arkansas for two years, during which I even spent a summer living in Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mitten State and always miss my family and friends when I am away, but I find myself to be most happy when I am adventuring in a new place and meeting new people. It should come as no surprise that when I came back to the Falklands this time (Saunders Island especially) it almost felt like coming home. I’ve already fallen back into saying a few phrases and words with a British accent (the weirdest of which is the word “what” – pronounced as “wot”). 

After the plane safely took off again, Suzan and David drove us to where we stay on their Settlement where our things that they store for us were already waiting. Keith and I moved into our designated rooms, and Anna got her choice from the remaining two. Micky joined a couple of days later, and he and I set off to teach Anna how to properly trap, band, and measure a Johnny Rook. If you remember from my posts during February and March, I often mentioned how different the birds are between the two seasons. Well, they continue to surprise us. As usual, we do not trap as many, but it seems, as though this time there are less around the Settlement than last August altogether. Granted, we are earlier than when we arrived for the last trip, but it still is strange. The absence of fun-loving Dr. Marc Bechard is also strange.

So far, we have only managed to band 41 birds since 29 July. A far cry from just the 82 birds that Micky and I banded alone on Steeple Jason in 3 days this past March (we banded a total of 166 birds in two months last trip). I am currently writing this from the Neck and we are here until Tuesday so this may (and hopefully will) change.
*As of 5 Aug 2014 we have banded 50 new birds and measured 11 birds previously banded-including re-fitting a GPS unit and re-banding P5 Yellow (now R22 Yellow)*

When we have been banding, Keith has enjoyed, well I assume at least, the new ATV (aka “quad”) with power steering (the other one does not have power steering). He is usually off most of the day on it, so I believe it is a safe assumption. Anna has also started to see what her research will entail and has done one of her foraging observations. Another one will hopefully be completed by the time I am back to the Settlement and able to post this entry.

I was able to run some puzzle experiments and saw something that got me really excited. E5 White is a very smart female who was able to learn the puzzles last summer (i.e., February/March). Well, guess what? SHE REMEMBERED! At least 4 months later, and never seeing the puzzles since then, she was able to walk right up to them and figure them both out. Other birds (Z3 Yellow and M9 Yellow) also exhibited the learning behavior we had observed before, and learned from E5 White. Video will be posted later.
(Not sure what I am talking about when I say “puzzles”? Check out this post, or this video, or this video).

As I had mentioned, we are at the Neck of Saunders Island and we almost didn't make it either. Thank you Carole and Suzan for helping get the Rover out!
bogged
I must say I still enjoy being at the Neck, but it is slightly more beautiful in the summer. Granted, it is only day 1, and we have had mostly fog, wind, and misty-rain all day. Oh, and it is still cold (of course). The penguins do not seem to mind though, and several groups of Gentoos were out foraging. There are also 5 juvenile King Penguins this year, most of who are much larger than their adult parents. None have walked up to investigate me like last year, but I am still holding out hope.


Before I forget… My friend, Dan, brought to my attention that 4-10 August is “Threatened and Endangered Species” week in Michigan. Even though this is only designated for Michigan, I feel like we can still all learn a little more about these species in need. So far, you are off to a great start by reading this blog entry about the near-threatened species, Phalcoboenus australis, better known as the Johnny Rook, or Striated Caracara, to you. To learn more about threatened or endangered species in general you can check out this website if you live in Michigan or just want to learn more about the species in danger there, that will be hosted near you!

PS! check out Saunders Island's new website! www.saundersfalklands.com

No comments:

Post a Comment