Tuesday, July 15, 2014

< 10!

That is how many days until I start my journey back to the Falklands. I can't believe how quickly almost 4 months has passed since the last trip. This trip will be drastically short in relation to the others though. We leave 24 July, arrive to Stanley, FI Saturday, 26 July, arrive on Saunders Island 27 July (weather permitting), and then turn around on 7 August to begin to travel back, arriving home 11 August. 18 days total, that's it! We were supposed to leave a week earlier but since you can only fly in and out of the islands on Saturday, that plane was booked. I am a little worried about how much work will actually be completed in just 10 days on Saunders Island. However, our newest member of the team, Anna, will at least gain an introduction to Falkland life. She will be working under the advisement of Dr. Marc Bechard for her Master of Science degree. 

I have kept pretty busy during my hiatus from the Islands though. I was able to meet some of my devoted blog followers when I presented to the 5th graders at Sturgis Elementary (they were the students that asked me all sorts of questions during my last trip -- you can read that entry here). 

How many Apple products does it take to create a presentation?
One of the two 5th grade classes I presented to. They were AWESOME!
I have also went back to my job at Panera Bread. I truly have a love/hate relationship with this job. 

Things I hate about it: 
1. Rude customers who make you feel worthless. There have been so many instances where I want to scream, "I (probably) have more degrees than you! Just because I ask you if you want a drink with your order does not mean you have the permission to treat me with so much disrespect!"

2. The feeling of being unappreciated by both customers (see number 1) and by Panera itself. 

3. Since moving (oh yes, that happened too since I got back) it now takes me every bit of a half hour to get to work.

4. I now help with Panera's catering and it boggles my mind when people place a $400+ order, have free delivery, and still don't include a tip. Do they not tip when they order a $10 pizza and have it delivered to their house?

Things I love about it:
1. I have worked for Panera Bread on and off since I was laid off from PetsMart at the tender age of 16. My general manager, Brian, is amazing and understanding, and lets me leave and come back. He also lets me work mornings. Despite me not being a morning person, I would rather get my shift done early in the day (5am starts have become the norm for me). 

2. Another plus of working mornings is that customers tend to be a little nicer than the lunch rush. These morning customers also include "the regulars." I have nicknamed a group of five, "The Breakfast Club" (David, Don, Margaret, Dennis, and Carol). I also have the sweetest, most devoted couple, Mark and Susie, but they usually visit later in the morning. These individuals make your busy morning better no matter how crappy it started. You also become invested in them and they become invested in you too, if you are lucky.  For example, David is from England and also followed my blog during my last trip and he would keep the other four up-to-date on what I was doing for the two months I spent in the Falklands. He had asked me if I was willing to do a presentation of my research for him and his friends. Of course I agreed and that is how I gave my first in a brewery. Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. to be exact.
My fellow biologist friends were jealous of my location. I would have been too.
Since I truly enjoy talking about my research and about the Falklands, I will always jump at a chance to educate others about this special place and its Johnny Rooks. I never expect anything more than the opportunity to broaden the knowledge of conservation to people to come out of my presentations. So, it was quite a surprise that through this presentation I gained two donors (I won't say who in case they want to remain anonymous). I am forever grateful and touched that they think so much of me to be willing to donate their hard-earned money to my research. Without Panera this never would have happened. (Want to join the donation team? Let me know!)

3. By working at this Panera location I am given the opportunity to meet a lot of corporate Moosejaw employees (Moosejaw is an awesome local Michigan backpacking and outdoor store). After getting to know one employee that comes in regularly and who took an interest in my research, I was gifted with some warm clothes for this upcoming trip. Thank you Moosejaw! 

Another thing that happened during this hiatus is that BBC aired the show (in the UK and its territories) that was filmed while I was in the Falklands. Appropriately, the Johnny Rooks were the stars of the segment, but my hat and hand did manage to make the final cut into the episode! Woo!
That hand and hand in the bottom right photo belong to me. I am basically a TV star now, I know. (jk)
On a less uplifting note, I still have not been able to find a professor that has funding for a stipend for basic living and tuition so it looks as though I will have to wait another year to start school. I have been trying to come to terms with this idea for a while, and sadly I am still holding out hope that something will turn up. In the meantime though, I have been applying to other jobs for the Fall that will make me feel more significant (e.g., research jobs, adjunct instructors at colleges, etc.). I also will have my first published article as first author come out in the next Journal of Raptor Research. There are more papers in the works too, so that will hopefully help my mental state. This is not where I thought I would be if you asked me two years ago, but like many people have told me, it is all happening for a reason. Even if I don't currently understand, it is for the best, and it is okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment